Managing Risk in Learning and Talent Management Operations
Organizations face a number of challenges when contemplating a move into Learning and Talent Management – developing a Strategy that links technology to the business, finding the right vendor partner, and deploying the technology so that it is effectively used by the organization. Each of these milestones is an event with a one-time result that predicts success or failure for the project. Equally difficult is managing the solution in an on-going fashion – continuing to engage parts of the business to use these enterprise technologies and to derive business value from them.
rapidLD has developed a holistic approach to both Learning and Talent Management that encompasses planning, developing, deploying, managing and measuring the solutions. Enterprise deployments of learning and/or talent technology are characterized by linking a number of engagements so the processes are continuous. We consider these processes as "Out-tasking."
Out-tasking is really offering resources in partnership to the customer that are ‘expert’ in the deployment of learning technologies; these resources become part of the customer team and strive to make learning technologies part of the fabric of the customer’s business. The value gained by hiring rapidLD in this role is having access to rapidLD’s expertise, methodologies and tools that have been seasoned over several years and hundreds of projects. The customer has access to a team of resources with various strengths which increases the speed and effectiveness of the solution. The specific areas that comprise this Outsourcing model include:
- Analysis – rapidLD partners with the customer to identify specific projects that can benefit from the use of learning technology and on-line content, envisions what the solution would look like and then develops a roadmap around developing and deploying the solution. These projects provide the "quick wins" that can show immediate value to the organization and provide a process used to repeat this success in other areas.
- Infrastructure – The learning and/or talent management technology plan requires a technical infrastructure to minimally deliver, track and report all learning activity in the projects. rapidLD can do a technical and workflow assessment to identify any gaps with the required technology and to create an optimization strategy to address the issues. Once the assessment is complete, a deployment or optimization plan is put in place to meet the needs of the short and long term projects. rapidLD handles the project management of each phase of deployment to manage timelines, scope and budget.
- Content – The training initiatives have specific content needs, and rapidLD works with the business units to facilitate the recommendation of existing relevant content or a plan to develop or acquire content to meet the training objectives. The source of the content can either be third party off the shelf titles, developed in-house, or developed by a third party provider. For custom-developed content, rapidLD helps to develop a set of process and content templates from which all development activities will be directed.
- Marketing & Communications – One of the cornerstones to a successful Learning and/or Talent Management strategy is an effective marketing and communication plan for all levels of the organization including the executive team, management, end users and project team. This plan involves “branding” the Learning strategy and developing then deploying sequenced messaging to support each phase of the project and how it relates to the individual or groups.
- Operations – The system operations of a Learning or Talent Management Technology deployment is instrumental in its short and long term success. System operations include application system administration, application customization, and development of reporting against business metrics.
The Long Term
Our value proposition to the customer is in establishing a consistent long term Learning strategy that provides the short term successes that are critical to gaining corporate momentum for Learning and Talent Management. This strategy forms the basis for a creating a clear, concise roadmap that will guide and drive the implementation of Learning and Talent Management technologies as well as offer an ongoing support plan. This is done with rapidLD resources to maximize the opportunity for success within an organization.